Sunday 2 March 2014

Must Have Makeup Brushes


Hello Makeup Enthusiasts, I hope you all having a lovely day so far?!. I know what you must be thinking, "Do we need all these brushes to makeup? Well, Yes and No! As a Makeup up Artist, Yes! I need all these brushes only because it allows me to create various looks. But for an everyday look, this wouldn't be the case.



The reason why I'm making this post is to let you know the ones you would really need as part of your everyday makeup routine. The picture below was the face-beat (Makeup) I created for a birthday party. Hope you like?!.**wink**

Birthday Party Look


1. Eyebrow Brushes


Eyebrow Brushes

As some of you may already know, the first part of your makeup routine would be to draw your eyebrows. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have the perfect eyebrows (LOL), so we literally have to draw them to look perfect.  

Now to draw your brows, apart from the brushes in the picture above, you would also require a concealer.

HINT: The concealer should be a shade or two shades lighter than your foundation.

Now back to brushes. The first brush from the left of the picture is a dual-duty brush, because it grooms and directs brows. The Second and last brush are angle brushes. The angle brush is used along with a concealer. It really allows for your brows to stand out.

If after you finish drawing your brows and you feel it looks too false, feel free to use your brow brush to achieve a more natural look. To summarize, angle brushes and brow brushes are essential as part of your eyebrow routine.

Drawing the perfect eyebrows on the other hand, would require its own post, so watch out for that.


2. Eye Shadow Brushes

Eyeshadow Brushes
I used a reddish eyeshadow and a brown eyeshadow for the crease.
I know some of you might be thinking again,  "Are the above brushes necessary to apply eye shadow?! Well, this will be dependent on the kind of look you are trying to achieve.

Hint: Before applying eye shadow, firstly apply an eyeshadow base/eyeshadow Primer. This base would allow for your eyeshadow to last the whole day.

The Flat brush in the middle(Red-tip) is your eye shadow application brush because it really helps define the eyeshadow. The blending brush is the white brush on far right of the picture. It's really useful for blending and it gets to the corners of your eyes.

The second to the last brush is what I use to apply shadow to the Crease (This is the area of your eyes that folds when you open your eyes).

Most ladies are fortunate their crease isn't as deep, so it makes their eye shadow pop out more. Well, I'm one of the unfortunate ones...oh well! One can't have it all ;-(.

Moving on...After applying another colour to your crease, preferably a Matte darker colour. A few people tend to use glittery eye shadow for their creases..."This is a makeup No..No..", especially if you are a beginner. My advice is to use a lighter glittery shadow for the eye and a darker matte shadow for the crease. Then you blend it all out with your blending brush.

Hint: When blending, try to ensure people can't see where the crease colour starts or end. In other words, blend really well to get a lovely effect. Light pink and dark purple goes really well together, you can give it a try :-).

The Fluffy black brush is used to blend the effect outwards towards your eyebrow. This would create like a faded look, which is why it's really important to have this brush in your makeup bag.

Finally the first brush from the left is an eyeliner brush. If you have a gel pot (I use the Mac BlackTrack Gel). Use the eyeliner brush to line the top of you eyes. If you own a liquid eyeliner, that's also fine.

Hint: Please refrain from using liquid liner for under your eyes, it can be messy and it hurts sometimes (Lesson learnt). Use your liquid or gel liner to line the top of your eyes, and a normal black eye pencil to line the lower part of your eyes. If you have other colours..Nice....

3. Foundation Brushes

Foundation Brushes.

Gone are those days when you pour foundation onto you palm, then rub on your face. The advantage of this is that it covers all corners of your face. The negative aspect is, it potentially causes walls/clothes stains (Guilty as charged)!.

Hint: Before applying your foundation, use a Foundation Primer first. This allows for your makeup to stay on the whole day *wink*. Also, you only require ONE of the brushes above.

Personally, I use the wide-mouthed brush. The pointed brush is what I use for clients because it allows me to reach underneath the eyes. Lets just say the pointed one gives you better coverage because it reaches the corners that the wide-mouthed brush cannot get to. You can also get a smaller pointed foundation brush for highlighting your under eyes/nose.

To highlight, you would need a concealer that is a shade or two shades lighter than your foundation. I use Mac NC50; my concealer shade is Mac NC45. People similar to my shade can also use NC48 concealer, but I really like my highlight to be OBVIOUS, so I went two shades lighter than my foundation.

4. Powder Brush

Powder Brush
After applying your foundation, the next step would be to set it with powder. I use the Ben Nye Banana powder to set my under eye and nose. Then, I go on to use the Mac Dark Deep Mineralize Skin Finish to set the rest of my face.

For your powder brush, the fluffier and wide-mouthed..The better :-)!

5. Contouring Brush

Contour Brushes
The purpose of contouring is to give a well-defined cheekbone. It creates an illusion that makes your face look slimmer (Boys don't be fooled!).

There are various types and shapes of contour brushes out there. The Fan brush is my all time favourite, because it reduces the risk of making your contour look like someone literally punched you in the face (hehe). The other brush is also popular, its called Tapered brush, I use that also.

If your a beginner at contouring, I advice you get the Fan brush.

HINT: Dip your contour brush into a matte contour powder and apply it from the tip of your ear towards the bottom of your cheek. You will notice straight away that it "lifts" the pinnacles of your cheekbones *wink*.

Also because you have highlighted the centre of your nose, just apply contour in a very thin line on either side of your nose, then blend out. Please avoid it being visible in pictures...Not a cool look! Hence, blending is really important!

6. Blush Brush

Blush Brush


A small chisel slant or beveled oval brush is good. The most important thing is getting the right size and making sure you don't apply too much on the apple of your cheeks. This should be applied from the tip of your ear down towards the apple of your cheeks. Then, smile to tap on the blush slightly.


Thanks for Reading :-)!
Ok.... My lovely Makeup Enthusiasts! That's it on my Must have brushes 101!....If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me an email and I'll be happy to reply, or better still you can ask questions in the comments tab below.

Also if there is any makeup hints you need me to post, please let me know and I'll be happy to do so.... Have a Great day **Muah**